Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October Scary Movie Challenge - 2014 Edition

It's been a few years but I've decided to once again take the Scary Movie Challenge. Originally called the Horror Movie Challenge when it debuted on the Home Theater Forum (HTF) 15 years ago, the challenge is a fun way to keep track of horror movies you and your friends watch during the month of October with the purpose of creating topics of discussion in the forum. In the past, I've veered away from their forum and just done the challenge for my own amusement.  I was considering asking my online friends to join me in the challenge but I didn't think I would find any that could make the time. So instead, I'm asking for recommendations. 

I've watched my fair share of horror movies growing up and, while I'll always make time for the classics I grew up loving (The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead and, the best of them all, Halloween), I also would like to revisit some titles that I haven't seen in over 30 years like House on Sorority Row, The Lift, Chopping Mall and Sleepaway Camp. 

There are rules to the HTF challenge but, basically, it just comes down to the following 2 guidelines:

  1. Watch 13 scary, horror or Halloween themed films from midnight October 1, 2014 through October 31, 2014.  For this, 2 of the 13 films must be new discoveries, movies you've never seen before.
  2. Or go for the Ultimate Splatter Challenge. In this challenge, 31 horror, scary or Halloween themed movies must be viewed during the same timeframe mentioned above.  For this, 10 new discoveries are recommended. 
I'm sure I can easily attain 13 movies since, out of the many times I've participated in this challenge, I've only once failed to get past 10 movies one October and that was a year when the Yankees went deep into the playoffs and a deluge of awesome games had been released. Depending how I start off, I may even attempt a run for 31. Only once have I reached this and I believe my end total was 35.  I'm not sure but I'll look it up.

I've ignored many horror movies over the years and thought I'd ask my friends to recommend some of their favorites. Tell me your favorite 3 or 5 horror movies and hopefully some of them I've never seen before.  If I can find it on Netflix, Amazon or iTunes... even better.  And if I have seen them before, if nothing else, I'll know what some of your favorites are.   May even be titles I had forgotten about.

I'll be keeping track of the movies I watch on this page.  The new discoveries will be underlined.  You can submit your recommendations on this blog, on my Facebook timeline or on LCVG.  

Here we go!!!

2014 October Scary Movie Challenge
  1. Session 9 (2001) - Watched on Cable - Recommended by Romier
  2. You're Next (2013) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Jorge
  3. Satan's Little Helper (2004) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Rosa
  4. Rosemary's Baby (1968) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Jeannie
  5. Cemetery Man (1994) - Watched on DVD
  6. Would You Rather (2012) - Watched on HBO GO
  7. Dead Snow (2009) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Carlos
  8. The Woman in Black (2012) - Watched on Amazon Instant Video - Recommended by Sean
  9. The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Watched on DVD - Recommended by Romier
  10. Ju-on: The Grudge (2002) - Watched on Netflix
  11. The Eye (2002) - Watched on DVD
  12. Mute Witness (1994) - Watched on DVD
  13. Dead Silence (2007) - Watched on Netflix
  14. Scream (1996) - Watched on Blu-ray - Recommended by Ray
  15. The Strangers (2008) - Watched on Blu-ray - Recommended by Jorge
  16. Frailty (2001) - Watched on Blu-ray
  17. The ABC's of Death (2012) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by the Slashfilm Podcast
  18. Saw (2004) - Watched on Blu-ray
  19. Quarantine (2008) - Watched on Blu-ray
  20. Event Horizon (1997) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Larry and Carlos
  21. The Conjuring (2013) - Watched on Apple TV
  22. Carrie (1976) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Jeannie
  23. Saw II (2005) - Watched on Blu-ray
  24. Final Destination (2000) - Watched on Blu-ray
  25. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - Watched on Blu-ray
  26. The Mist (2007) - Watched on Blu-ray
  27. Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Watched on DVD
  28. Carrie (2013) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Jorge
  29. Malevolence (2003) - Watched on Amazon Instant Video - Recommended by Rosa
  30. Saw III (2006) - Watched on Blu-ray
  31. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - Watched on Blu-ray
  32. The Grudge (2004) - Watched on Blu-ray
  33. From Beyond (1986) - Watched on Amazon Instant Video - Recommended by Michael
  34. Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Watched on Blu-ray - Recommended by Jonathan
  35. The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Watched on Amazon Instant Video
  36. The Thing (1982) - Watched on Blu-ray
  37. Burnt Offerings (1976) - Watched on Amazon Instant Video - Recommended by Dave
  38. Hellraiser (1987) - Watched on Blu-ray
  39. Below (2002) - Watched on Netflix - Recommended by Joey
  40. The Evil Dead (1981) - Watched on Blu-ray - Recommended by Jonathan
  41. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Watched on Blu-ray - Recommended by Jonathan
  42. Halloween (1978) - Watched on Blu-ray
  43. Halloween II (1981) - Watched on Blu-ray

No comments: