Saturday, September 7, 2013

9/8/13 Update

So after a few days of grilling my doctors with questions and more online searches, I have a more clearer understanding of what's going on. At this moment, they won't rule out a gallstone but don't think it's the culprit.  When I asked them if the inflammation in my bile ducts could be a result of me already having passed a gallstone, they replied yes and that would leave tissue scarring on my gallbladder but the MRI didn't detect any such findings.  So, until they get in there on Monday and see what the actual cause is, they're going with stricture. 

Defined as "abnormal narrowing of a bodily canal or passageway", stricture would mean that they'd have to put in a stent or similar tube into the affected duct to help widen and maintain ample passageway.  Once I know more, I'll pass it along.

I would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and support. I've received many well wishes via Facebook posts, text messages and phone calls and it all means a great deal to me so thank you all so very much. 

I would also like to thank my co-worker John. When I stumbled into work Tuesday morning, John took one look at me and told me I looked like I needed to be at the hospital. For the next few minutes, he continued to insist on walking with me to the hospital. It wasn't until I told him I didn't think I could walk that he jumped on the phone and called for an ambulance. Paramedics arrived within minutes and quickly strapped EKG pads and cables on my chest and an IV in my arm. It was a rough ride to the hospital but if it weren't for John, it could've been a whole lot worse because, as the saying goes, I'm as stubborn as a mule and probably would've held out longer.  So thank you John. Thanks for getting to work before me for once. :p

That first day was spent in the ER until 1am when I was finally admitted to a room. Before that though, I received visits from John, my mother and Jorge. On Wednesday (my first day in the room), I received a visit from Jonathan, his lovely girlfriend Amy and another co-worker of mine Boureima.  On Thursday, Jorge returned and hung with me for a few hours as we talked tv shows and video games.  Jonathan returned Friday and sat in with me.  Yesterday, i had a surprise and pleasant visit from my boss Robert followed by my family: mom, Jorge, Angel & Angelise. Thank you all for finding the time to visit. 

I share the room with an elderly gentlemen who is awaiting a heart procedure on the same Monday as I'm having my procedure done. He's a nice enough, well spoken man but tends to be bothered by silly things. One evening, Maria and I heard him speaking to his sister on the phone about how this place has turned into a motel since there's a young woman staying on the other side of the room with the patient. Maria didn't like it but I just grinned and chalked it up to the elderly sometimes voicing their opinions on petty things. He was already in the room when I arrived and has a great view of the East River. I, on the other hand, have the luxury of being on the side of the room where I don't have to continuously cross in front of him whenever I need to relieve this over active bladder. 

This whole week would've been a whole lot worse if it weren't for my amazing wife Maria. Right after John called the ambulance for me that Tuesday morning, he called Maria to let her know what had happened. Maria, who at that time is normally getting ready to leave for work, instead headed straight for the hospital. When I arrived at the ER, it wasn't long before I was rushed off for a chest X-ray. When I returned, Maria was already there waiting for me. Those first two days, she missed work, tended to my every need and slept overnight on a chair with her head propped up against the wall. When Jonathan visited on Wednesday, she briefly took the time to head home for a shower, change of clothes and pack a bag for an extended hospital stay.  On Thursday, she decided to head to work but would return the moment I informed her of a start time for my procedure. Poor woman was at work all of 2 hours when she received my call informing her that my procedure was about to get underway, that very moment. We had been told that it would take place during the afternoon so we were totally caught off guard and, in addition, was about to truncate her return to her job. Nonetheless, she bolted from her job without a second thought.  Through all of this, she's had to make time to go shopping for groceries, kids shoes and school supplies.  Things we were going to do together this last week before the beginning of the school season. 

On an even more personal note, the beginning of this year was a difficult one for us. We were dealing with some serious marital issues and, by May, agreed to a separation. But right around June, we sat down and thought about what was the one thing needed working on more than anything.  That happened to be communication.  Once we established that communication would be our prime focus to help salvage our marriage, everything else quickly fell into place.  Since June, this has been a rediscovery of love, passion and, most of all, understanding and patience. Other than the birth of our kids, I've never been happier... more in love. 

As we approach our 25th wedding anniversary, I want to thank you Maria for your strength, understanding and patience. Without any of those, June wouldn't have happened. 

Thank you for being my pillar. 

I love you!



No comments: