Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New York Comic Con 2011: Day 2

After going unprepared on day 1 (Thursday), day 2 saw me headed back to the Javits Center with enthusiasm, determination and books in my backpack.  One of the books was my Walking Dead Book One hardcover for a Robert Kirkman signature.  Now, I debated whether I wanted to make this line again after being on line the previous day with nothing but a comic con pass.  In my defense, I made the line that first day hoping that his staff would have the new "Rise of the Governor" hardcover available for sale to have signed but, though they were expected in, the books never arrived so I settled for having my pass signed instead with the thought that I'd just do the line again the next day.  So, here I was on line again, enjoying a pleasant chat with a fan who made the trip from Pennsylvania.  As it turned out, that chat really helped the hour-long wait go by pretty quickly.  Finally, Kirkman signed my book along with my Walking Dead season 1 dvd slipcase and my "bloody" Rick Grimes Walking Dead action figure which, from what I understand, turned out to be a New York Comic Con exclusive.  Afterwards, I was able to score a signature on my book and action figure by Tony Moore who drew the interior art on the first 6 issues of the comic and the cover art for the first 24 issues.

Another creator I revisited was Terry Moore.  I really enjoy visiting Terry and his wife Robyn.  Unlike most other creators who have to be pulled away for panels or can only been seen after long waits on line, Terry is an independent creator with his own booth and is almost always there and very approachable.  It's quite common to see Terry and/or Robyn in conversation with customers about all things Strangers In Paradise or Echo.  After having purchased the Echo hardcover book, which he signed, along with a Rachel Rising (his new series) t-shirt on Thursday, I went back on day 2 with my copy of the fabulous Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man 2nd volume hardcover book which he wrote.  He signed it as we chatted about Echo and how it's been optioned for a movie with a screenwriter currently attached.  I told him I'd see him again the next day with more books for him to sign and he graciously told me he'd look forward to it.

Also, I visited DC's hour long Batman panel where current creators Lee Bermejo (Batman: Noel), Chris Burnham (Batman Inc.), Tony Daniel (Detective Comics), Greg Capullo (Batman), David Finch (Batman: The Dark Knight), Kyle Higgins (Nightwing), Amy Reeder (Batwoman), Scott Snyder (Batman) and Peter J. Tomasi (Batman and Robin) all shared their views on their respective books and took time out to answer fan questions.  It was an interesting panel but, more importantly, a nice hour break off my feet.

All in all, I had a great time but I'd be lying if I didn't say I got home with pain in my legs and back.  Lots of walking, waiting on lines, and carrying a heavy backpack of books on the subway to and from Comic Con can take it's toll.  But, when you're there taking it all in, meeting new people (fans AND creators alike) and enjoying all the wonderfully creative costumes and outfits being worn and shown at the show, all you can think of is.... I get to do this all over again tomorrow.



Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: