Thursday, October 13, 2011

New York Comic Con 2011: Day 1


Day 1 of New York Comic Con 2011, held at the Jacob Javits Center located on the west side of 34th Street in Manhattan, was only from 4pm to 7pm for VIP and 4-day pass ticket holders. While I had been looking forward to this years NYCC since purchasing my ticket way back in February, I almost didn't go due to low expectations on my behalf of anything remotely productive happening on this abbreviated first day. But I'm glad I did as the floor wasn't as crowded as it will definitely be during the rest of the weekend. I was able to cover lots of ground and take a good number of pictures without having to deal with passing crowds wandering in and out of my shots.

I was able to meet up with fellow LCVG members Dave, Joey, Phil and their friend Ruell. After having met up with Dave, I joined him on line to meet Walking Dead creator/writer Robert Kirkman. Not coming prepared to have anything signed, I asked Kirkman to sign my 4-day pass. Afterwards, Dave and I went over to the Abstract Studios booth to meet Strangers In Paradise (SiP), Echo, and Rachel Rising creator Terry Moore. Maria and I had met Moore at last years NYCC and purchased Echo and SiP t-shirts along with some prints of his. He was kind enough to sign quite a few of his books for me. Alot more than I had any business asking of him but he and his wife Robyn were more than happy to oblige. This year, I purchased the complete hardcover edition of Echo and a Rachel Rising t-shirt.

In addition, I was able to see and take pictures of some great looking action figures. Some figures that I saw and took pictures of were:
  • DC
  • Marvel
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Ghostbusters
  • WWE Superstars
  • The Munsters
  • Street Fighter
  • Walking Dead
  • Universal Classic Horror Monsters.

There were some Gears Of War props and props used in movies. The ones I saw were:
  • Batman suit and miniature Tumbler from Batman Begins
  • the Joker's card deck from The Dark Knight
  • a newspaper, piece of Kryptonite and Clark Kent's glasses from Superman Returns
  • the Night Owl mask from Watchmen
  • the baby prop from The Hangover
  • the monkey prop and a severed finger prop from Hangover 2

And what would a comic con be without costumed fans? Day 1 didn't provide many since the floor was only open to ViP and 4-pass fans but there were a few around and tomorrow thru Sunday should see many cool and original costume designs.

Afterwards, I joined Joey, Phil and Ruell for a post-Con meal at a nearby Five Guys.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: