Monday, July 25, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Having seen the latest superhero movie, Captain America, I couldn't help but think what a great summer this has been for comic book fans at theaters. I say summer because the year started off by giving us the absolutely horrid Green Hornet. But the four that were released since (Thor, X-Men: First Class, Green Lantern and Captain America), were good to excellent. Even the weakest one, Green Lantern, was enjoyable and far better than the horrible Transformers 3.

I thought Captain America was well paced with some key character moments, bits of humor (which, thankfully, was not forced) and action sequences that weren't hard to follow (I'm looking at you Michael Bay). Excellent all-around job by director Joe Johnston and cast members Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell, Dominic Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci. This narrowly beat X-Men: First Class as my favorite superhero movie this year and, in my opinion, the best one since the first Iron Man.



I never read Captain America comic books growing up or now that I've gotten back into them so I don't know much behind his origin story other than what I just saw in the movie but, in addition to The Avengers, I hope to see more Captain America movies.

Stick around after the end credits for a sneak peak at some scenes from next summers Avengers movie.

1 comment:

G. Eric Francis said...

High Praise indeed...I plan to see it for my birthday...I was unimpressed with all the trailers, so I hope it's good. Ultimately it comes down to another "set-up/intro" for the big Avengers throw down next summer. As that I don't post anymore social things on things like FB anymore, I'll have to let you know. But a fine written blog posting as always, sir.