Saturday, August 3, 2013

Date Night - 8/2/13

Started my day with wanting to give Maria a surprise by showing up at her job and treating her to lunch.  Grabbed my iPad and made my way to her job in Manhattan via the subway, which I hadn't used in a few years.  Of course, riding the subway isn't without it's drama.  Due to track work, had to catch the train one stop uptown to board a downtown train.  Not surprised to see 1980s inconveniences at 2013 fares.

Once in Manhattan, I stopped off at Maurice Badler Jewelry located on Park Avenue between 58th and 59th Street to pick up a Pandora Bangle bracelet which she had hinted at wanting a few months prior.  When she stepped out for lunch, she was pleasantly surprised to see me sitting on the church steps next door with a Pandora bag on my lap.  From there, we went to Fresco On The Go, an Italian eatery owned by the family of Fox 5 Good Day New York's Rosanna Scotto.

Greek salad for Maria, Penne for me

After eating, we walked towards Park Avenue and found a bench where we could just hang out until it was time for her to return to work.  Once she did, I made my way down to 45th Street and Lexington Avenue for a visit to Midtown Comics.  Though I no longer buy physical comics, I still like to go every once in a while to browse the aisles and also to see the new statues.   Nothing new caught my attention but I still plan on purchasing the Spider-Man and Punisher statues pictured below.  I'm just waiting on an in-store sale.  They recently had an online sale at 40% off but their shipping was $27.  Thanks but I'll wait for an in-store sales which can be as high as 50% off.  

Black Costume Spider-Man Statue by Bowen Designs

Punisher Classic Statue by Bowen Designs

After spending 30-45 minutes at Midtown Comics, I headed over to Grand Central Terminal to visit the Apple Store.  With almost 2 hours to go before Maria's departure from work and my iPhone battery at 36%, I sat at one of their stools, charged my iPhone and started reading on my iPad.  Once Maria's work day was done, we met at the 42nd Street subway station and headed down to Fulton Street to spend our evening at the South Street Seaport.

At the Seaport's Pier 17 with the Hudson River behind us

Pier 17 has a small but pleasant collection of shops and restaurants, an outdoor cafe and a food court.  

 The British are coming

Fan of Nightmare Before Christmas' Jack?  This store is for you

Ship departing from Pier 17

For dinner, we decided to give Cabana Nuevo Latino restaurant a try. Started by waiting at the bar for drinks (yes, I know I don't drink) followed by a nice meal.  Price was a bit high but the food was really, really good.  Maria had the Paella Marinera while I had the Parrillada.

Baileys Irish Cream

Parrillada -  Mixed grill platter of grilled chicken breast, churrasco, longaniza sausage, morcilla and spanish chorizo with a side 
order of saffron flavored rice with frijoles

Paella MarineraShrimp, octopus, calamares, scallops, clams and mussels simmered with 
saffron and garlic in a caldera of valencia rice

Ended our night by taking a walk over to City Hall.  The walk from the Seaport to the subway station and from the subway station in the Bronx to our apartment was pleasantly autumn-like thanks to a cool breeze.  A beautiful ending to a beautiful day!

No comments: