Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Box Office Gold


In my July 4th blog, I posted that The Dark Knight was expected to break some box office records. That was an understatement as TDK has currently shattered 9 records including biggest midnight preview gross (of which I was a part of), single day and 3-day weekend grosses. Source: BoxOfficeMojo.com

And it's not done as it's probably going to break 4-day, 5-day, 6-day, etc. records as repeat business due to excellent word of mouth amid stellar reviews will push this film into the record books.   I'll be doing my part as I plan on taking in another screening but on the highly recommended IMAX format.


This Friday, the new X-Files movie debuts in what I think is a head-scratching move by Fox Studios. Instead of releasing this earlier in the summer or in mid-August, X-Files: I Want To Believe will try and get moviegoers away from The Dark Knight. Something I think will be very difficult with the little marketing I've seen from Fox Studios and the fact that it's been a few years since the X-Files tv series has been off the air. Not to mention repeat business for TDK, I think the X-Files movie will be lucky to make more than $25 million, which will probably be less than half what TDK pulls in. As an avid X-Files fan and someone that's waited years for this latest film, I'm hoping it's at least entertaining and makes enough money to warrant the creators (Chris Carter in specific) to seriously consider making more X-Files films.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to concur with the seemingly bad timing by fox in releasing the new X-Files Movie. It's going to get creamed by the Bat and the Joker. I am actually thinking of going to see TDK again, which would be my first repeat viewing of a film during its first run in at least 22 years. As I mentioned to the author of this blog after my viewing of this film, if Heath Ledger doesn't get at least an oscar nomination, it's a bloody crime. I know most folks will laugh (including the author of this fine blog, as that we have butted heads of the age of this film) but I thought for pure escapism, fantastic acting, and classic status, Superman (1978) was the best comic adapation I've ever seen...until Friday, July 18th. The best part of the film beyond Ledger (as well as Bale's growth into the duality that is Batman and Bruce Wayne)performance? You forgot you were watching a "comic book adaption". It was just a flat out great film.

Angel Pagan said...

I'll agree with your "timeless classic" label for the original Superman film but a couple of movies in the superhero genre have eclipsed it since then. As far as not doubling up on a theatrical release in 22 years: that's amazing considering how many great films have been out since then. 22 years would approximately be around 1986. Is that the year you went to see Hannah and her Sisters 3 times?

Anonymous said...

Whatever....you know your favorite movie is "howard the duck." U are probably humming the theme song right now...dirtbag...:) And to reply to your other comment, master bloggger (I like that; I'll stick with that as your title, as that I enjoy your writing style, as well as your resemblance to eggehad from the 1960's Batman series) outside of the final "Lord of the Rings" (and that is a technicality, as that i understand The Hobbit is heading out way in a couple of years) Hollywood hasn't thrilled me in years up until the Dark knight premiered. (And i know you plan to throw "Speed Racer" back at me...which would of been a better comeback than Hannah and her Sisters...at least that one got good reviews...lol)